In this episode of the podcast, I discuss scheduling and calendaring. I talk about my calendar, Google Calendar and concepts you can use regardless of which calendar you use.
Listen below, download, or subscribe on iTunes.
EXTRA: A video on using Google Calendar.
- Winner of the book giveaway: Jedadiah Casey in Florida won a signed copy of Building Your I.T. Career. There is a new book giveaway started. I’ve extended the date to May 19th
- Skype call with IATD Chicago was a success
- Reviews of my book and a request for those who have read my book.
Scheduling & Calendaring
I refer to my calendar as a benevolent dictator. Why? Because, when I am diligent in using my calendar, it keeps me doing the right things.
Why do I use Google Calendar
- I used to use Outlook – which is a great calendaring tool but..
- Cloud based – I can get to it anywhere
- It is free
- I can create multiple calendars and see them overlapping
- I can share one or more calendars – either the details or just free/busy information
- It integrates with my smart phone
- It also sends me text messages if I want it to
- It has a built in tasks list that also synchronizes with my phone
- Get things off your mind and into a system.
David Allen and 43 folders concept.
- You must work your system in some scheduled/diligent fashion
- Weekly planning and review
- Daily Review
- Have repeating scheduled items for non-moving, ongoing, items.
- Weekly conference call..
- Going to the gym
- Practicing guitar
- Recording your podcast
- Writing time
- Don’t schedule appointments or blocks of time right on top of each other. Create space for overage and preparation